A Curve in the Road

This painting is from a view down the road from my house/studio near Rupert, Quebec. I painted it outside, standing on the side of the road in the heat, in the breeze accompanied by crickets, birds, cows and some cyclists who stopped by for a chat. Painting outdoors is an attractive activity. I, the painter, become a curiosity to people traveling by and they often stop, look and talk to me. Sometimes people stop, look and don't say a thing, just observe me like a wild animal in the zoo. Today two cars slowed down, looked and said nothing. Many cyclists waved, offered fleeting commentary: "oh c'est beau!", or "how cool is that"?  Four cyclists actually stopped and talked. One guy I knew, Russ, really was excited to see me painting and took pictures of me. Two young mountain bikers came crashing through the fields and came over to see what was going on. Another guy who didn't speak english very well was fascinated and looked intrigued by what I was doing. When I paint outside in public view I don't expect to be left alone so I prepare myself for it. It's a very different dialogue from my studio work. Outside I feel part of everything, part of all the goings on in the world, part of nature and part of the human race.

The painting is for sale. oil on canvas, 10"x12", $425.

***

July 2012, Rupert, Quebec, Gatineau Hills


***

Near Rupert, Quebec.     Oil on Canvas      10"x12"       $425.

Comments

Popular Posts